Saturday, January 3, 2009

Calling Sin "Sin" Vital in Overcoming It

D. L. Moody:

A lady came to me some time ago and said she had great trouble with her temper now, and she was more irritable than she was five years ago, and she wanted to know if I didn’t think it was wrong.

I said, “I should think you are backsliding. If you haven’t better control over yourself now than you had five years ago, there is something radically wrong.”

“Well,” she said, “I should like to know how I am going to mend it. Can you tell me?”

“Yes.”

“How?”

I said, “When you get angry with people and give them a good scolding, go right to them after you have made up your mind that you have done wrong, and tell them you have sinned and ask them to forgive you.”

She said she wouldn’t like to do that.

Of course she wouldn’t; but she will never get victory until she treats it as sin. Don’t look upon it as weakness or misfortune, but sin. No child of God ought to lose control of temper without confessing it.

A lady came to me some time ago and said that she had got so in the habit of exaggerating that people accused her of misrepresentation. She wanted to know if there was any way she could overcome it.

“Certainly,” I said.

“How?”

“Next time you catch yourself at it, go right to the party and tell them you lied.”

“Oh!” she said, “I wouldn’t call it lying.”

Of course not, but a lie is a lie all the same, and you will never overcome those sins until you treat them as sins and get them out of your nature.

--Dwight L. Moody, The Best of Dwight L. Moody 236-37