From The American Patriot's Almanac, an excellent year-long walk through American history, by William J. Bennett and John T. E. Cribb:
"Twelve Great Reasons to Love a Great Country"
1. The United States was the first nation in history created out of the belief that people should govern themselves.
2. America really is the land of the free.
3. No other country has done a better job of establishing equal rights for all citizens.
4. This is the place where dreams can come true.
5. We enjoy one of the world's highest standards of living.
6. No other country has welcomed and united so many people from so many different shores.
7. The U.S. military is the greatest defender of freedom in the world.
8. America is a world leader in scholarship and invention.
9. Americans are among the most generous people on earth.
10. The United States is the world's greatest marketplace for the free exchange of ideas and information.
11. This nation possesses an amazing capacity for self-renewal.
12. America is a nation that looks to God for guidance.
Bennett and Cribb comment on each of these. For instance, under #7 they state:
"... Throughout history, other superpowers have used armies to conquer territory and build empires by force. America, with its unrivaled military, has chosen a different course. The United States has liberated more people from tyranny than any other nation in history."
I don't know that I totally agree with #12.