Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Elderly Believer Sustained by the Lord During 2-Year Prison Ordeal

A 79-year-old believer in Christ was released from a Chinese prison this month after a 2-year sentence. Voice of the Martyrs relates her experience:

"The PSB [Public Security Bureau] went to my prison interrogating, threatening and harassing me numerous times," Shuying said. "They even directed other prisoners to take off all my clothes and forced me to stand alone outside in the evening without letting me sleep."

Shuying added she was slapped on her face and forced to drink her own urine. Despite these harsh conditions, Shuying's faith remained strong. "During these terrible circumstances, I prayed without ceasing. I asked God to give me strength," Shuying said. "Every time when my son came to visit me and shared with me that brothers and sisters from all over the world had been praying for me, I felt greatly strengthened and empowered which has enabled me to continue to live."

This faithful Christian and her son were arrested in Jan 2007 when walking near an Olympic hotel in Beijing. She was released Feb 8 and got to see her 91-year-old husband, who died 2 days later. (Read whole story here.)

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me ... (Ps 23:4 NIV)

No comments: