Tuesday, June 30, 2009

God's Ominpresence Not Comforting to the Wicked

We often think of the fact that God is everywhere present as a comforting thing: we are not alone; God is here to help us; God is with us. Sometimes Psalm 139 is cited in this regard.

But God's omnipresence is a thing of terror to the wicked. Have you ever had a dream where your enemy pursues you, and no matter what you do, no matter where you go, you cannot escape? That is literally true of those who reject Christ.

Amos 9 graphically shows the terror of God's omnipresence.

1 I saw the Lord standing by the altar, and He said:
“ Strike the doorposts, that the thresholds may shake,
And break them on the heads of them all.
I will slay the last of them with the sword.
He who flees from them shall not get away,
And he who escapes from them shall not be delivered.
2 “ Though they dig into hell,
From there My hand shall take them;
Though they climb up to heaven,
From there I will bring them down;
3 And though they hide themselves on top of Carmel,
From there I will search and take them;
Though they hide from My sight at the bottom of the sea,
From there I will command the serpent, and it shall bite them;
4 Though they go into captivity before their enemies,
From there I will command the sword,
And it shall slay them.
I will set My eyes on them for harm and not for good.”
(NKJV)

No comments: