Friday, June 19, 2009

Where I'm at in My Reading

I'm in the middle of several books right now. At the church I'm slowly working my way through With Christ in the School of Prayer (E. M. Bounds) and even more slowly, Keep in Step with the Spirit (J. I. Packer).

At home I'm reading The Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan), On Being a Pastor (Derek Prime and Alistair Begg), Jonathan Edwards on Revival (a compilation of Edwards' works), and Faith on Trial (D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones). I'm reading The Chosen (Chaim Potok) to Sara as we have time, usually when she's preparing supper. (I've read this wonderful novel before and wanted Sara to experience it.)

Of course, I'm reading through the Bible, the HCSB at home and the NKJV at church.

As to my reading goals (click here to see those), I've completed The Cross of Christ (John Stott), Macbeth (Shakespeare), The Return of the King (Tolkien), and vol. 1 of the Martyn Lloyd-Jones biography (Iain H. Murray). I'm about a third of the way through The Civil War vol. 1 (Shelby Foote) and about a third of the way through Institutes of the Christian Religion (John Calvin).

I'm an ADD reader, flitting from interest to interest. I have a pastor friend who reads a book a week, cover to cover. He gets more read in a year than I do. (Of course, he doesn't have any kids, either.)

Finally, I should mention that I'm reading a Dana girls mystery, The Mysterious Fireplace, to Caty and The Frog Princess of Pelham to Anna.

No comments: