Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Turning 40


I meant to blog a little about turning 40 on my birthday in June, but I didn't.

It's not because I forgot (a sign of old age). It's because I didn't really have the time (a typical symptom of 40, I think).

It's amazing to me what God has done for me over the first 40 years of my life. I have lived a blessed life thus far, and I do not, absolutely do not, deserve it.

An anecdote. I shared this at my other blog, but I'll share it here, too, for those of you who can only stomach one blog from me. While at CDYC, a kid in the dorm wanted to play me ping-pong, so I played him. He was not from our church. The next day, he said to Phil, our 27-year-old youth director, "I want a rematch with your dad." Phil laughed and said, "He's not my dad." The kid then said, in absolute seriousness, "With your grandpa, then." Hmmm. Apparently I look older than 40.

I remember when my dad turned 40. We celebrated his birthday in Durango, Colorado, Aug 12, 1984, on a long camping trip with several families from Avalon Missionary Church. I was 15 at the time.
I don't know what God has in store for me and my family in the future. He's been faithful even when I've been faithless. I want very much to be consumed, absolutely consumed, with passion for him.
"May Thy rich grace impart
strength to my fainting heart;
my zeal inspire.
As Thou hast died for me,
so may my love for Thee,
pure, warm, and changeless be,
a living fire."

2 comments:

Phillip A. said...

I love you grandpa!

D S'more said...

1984 eh? That's the year I was born...