Friday, January 15, 2010

Taking a Negative Approach to God

A. W. Tozer suggests a negative approach to thinking accurately about God. He writes in The Knowledge of the Holy,

"Since our intellectual knolwedge of God is so small and obscure, we can sometimes gain considerable advantage in our struggle to understand what God is like by the simple expedient of thinking what He is not like" (55).

He cites some Scriptural examples, like
  • He will not grow tired or weary (Isa 40:28). --He is omnipotent.
  • I the LORD do not change (Mal 3:6). --He is immutable.
  • God, who does not lie (Titus 1:2) --He is wholly righteous.
  • For nothing is impossible with God (Lk 1:37). --His omnipotence again
Another one that comes to my mind often is
  • ...there is no wickedness in him (Ps 92:15). --His holiness
I have found the negative approach helpful in appreciating God.

God doesn't have a bad day. He doesn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed and take it out on us. --God's goodness to us

God isn't unaware of what's going on in our lives. He's not so engrossed in something else going on or something (or someone) more important that our problems and concerns aren't at the forefront of his mind. --God's compassion and omniscience

God is never caught by surprise with world events or with circumstances in my life. God never wrings his hands with anxiety, "Oh, what I am going to do? How can I fix this mess?" --God's omniscience, wisdom, omnipotence

God isn't going to surprise us some day in Heaven with the announcement, "You know what? I changed my mind. Everybody to Hell." --God's love and faithfulness

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD!
Someone asked the ridiculous question: Can God make a rock bigger than what He can lift? No!
Someone else asked: Can God make a square circle? No!
GOD CAN DO ANYTHING THAT TAKES POWER. BUT HE CANNOT DO ANYTHING THAT IS CONTRARY TO HIS OWN NATURE NOR CONTRARY TO THE NATURE OF THINGS.
People often say: “I think that God is this way or that way,” or that “the Bible says this or that.” WELL, I THINK THE MANY WHO START TALKING LIKE THAT OUGHT TO CHECK OUT THE SCRIPTURES FOR THEMSELVES!!! Jesus Christ, The Son of Almighty God said: “Ye do err, not knowing the Scriptures.” (Matthew 22:29) I know that I would not want to stand before the Almighty On JUDGMENT DAY, claiming for my defense some interrogative statement such as: “Well, didn’t You say this or that about that or this?”
But INSTEAD of hearing from God, “Well done, you GOOD and FAITHFUL servant. You may now enter the joy of your Lord” (Matthew 25:21, 23), such a person will hear from Christ: “You thought that I am altogether such a one as yourself, but now to your face I rebuke you and accuse you. I’m going to Tear you apart with my own hands!” (Psalm 50:21 22).
And many will say to Christ on JUDGMENT DAY: “`Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'” (Matthew 7:22, 23)
People need to humble themselves before God's meercy and His holy ways and check out “THE RIGHT WAYS” of the LORD long before they meet Him in death.” (Acts 13:10)
Psalm 34:16 “the face of the LORD is against those who do evil,to cut off the memory of them from the earth.” --Ralph