Monday, February 8, 2010

Giving Thanks

Colossians is a book that reminds us 7 different times to be thankful (1:3,12; 2:7; 3:15,16,17; 4:2). Chapter 2 verse 7, for instance, says that we should be "overflowing with thankfulness."

So, in that spirit, I list some things I've been thankful for in recent days.

I'm thankful for clean drinking water, right here in my house!

I'm thankful for a home and heat when it's so cold outside.

I'm thankful for someone very dear to me who seems to be "hard pressed on every side," but like Paul, is "not crushed" (2 Cor 4:8). From an earthly perspective he is in a desert, and yet spiritually he thrives! There's no way he could do that apart from Christ working in his life daily. How this person has grown spiritually in the last couple years! It is simply amazing!

I am thankful for this past year of American weakness and stumbling. While I wish we had a different president, yet the Lord has used the continual stream of bad news coming out of Washington to pry my hopes and trust off of government and American power in order to place it more fully upon him. As an American, the future looks depressing. As a Christian, I know that there is no situation where my Heavenly Father cannot take care of me and mine.

I think the Lord is parenting me through my parenting my kids. I am learning that the Lord is doing some interesting things in me by allowing me to blow it as a parent. I'm not sure I can explain this. But the things I get on the kids for the Lord is holding up as a mirror to me. I do the same things, darn it.

Then also, I blow my stack with one of the kids (usually the oldest) over legitimate reasons to discipline, but because I blew my stack--that really doesn't help. But despite these faults, the Lord continues to build in me humility, and my humility before my kids actually builds them, and it builds my relationship with them. I think. It's very interesting. The Father is a divine artist working in such creative ways to build me and my children.

I should stop. Your eyes are tired.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Mommy C said...

I am thankful for your blog. : ) I really enjoyed your post. How amazing it is the way God teaches us!