Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hating on Home Improvement Projects

I hate home improvement stuff. I hate it. Can't stand it. Would rather clean toilets and vacuum floors than do home improvement.

Why? Because I'm no good at it.
Why? Because they always take way longer than I anticipate.
Why? Because there's always some unusual twist that doesn't make them as straightforward as people tell me they're going to be.

I remember when I had to change an elbow pipe under the kitchen sink in our previous house. It was an emergency. Took quite a bit of my day because I didn't know what I was doing. Was supposed to be at work.

Other painful memories include: replacing basement windows as they are broken out (3 or 4 now); changing the wax ring underneath the toilet (I even had an expert friend's help, and it still took several hours--we encountered an anomaly he hadn't seen before); changing out the garbage disposal (I was Sara's assistant there).

Today was another such experience. We've needed to replace our bathroom ceiling fan. It's not been doing the job. So we thought we had enough time this afternoon. Sara took the lead, and I assisted. (She's much handier at home-repair.)

We sat down to the supper table at 9:45pm. I'd tell you all the problems we encountered, but I think the wound is still fresh.

Oh yeah. We need to replace our garbage disposal again.

2 comments:

Kent said...

Yea, I'm not good at most home improvement projects myself. I've found the same thing you did, you plan a certain amount of time and it just about always takes a lot longer. That's why my work consists of reading, studying, and talking, what more could a person ask for?

Kent S said...

Amen to that, Kent!