Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Divided America Not Surprising

A debate with a friend on Facebook yesterday brought to my attention how deeply divided Christians and non-Christians are. My worldview and my friend's worldview are very far apart.

My friend was celebrating the triumph of the Democrats and nationalized health care, and she was rejoicing in our debate that the pro-lifers were unable to legislate their morality this time, like they're always trying to do.

"If pro-lifers are against abortion, then they shouldn't have them," was the gist of some of her argument. In other words, let me live my life the way I want, and you live your life the way you want.

I suppose that's ideally the way a pluralistic society should function. But it can't function that way, because her lifestyle overlaps with mine. Yesterday her morality was legislated for me. My tax dollars will go to fund abortions that I believe are wrong.

Not only that, but the carrying out of her morality, though she doesn't see it this way, makes my God angry with this nation and brings his hand of judgment in various ways. (The Romans didn't like the Christians because they wouldn't worship their gods, thus potentially invoking the wrath of the Roman pantheon against Rome.)

What's more, my morality is not just inward-looking, but it's outward-looking, too. My morality, which I get from the Scriptures, points me in the direction of influencing my culture for righteousness. My friend would like me to curb that part of my morality because it affects her morality.

Given these overlapping moralities, it's no wonder we're deeply divided.

2 comments:

j.scantlin said...

Most Christians don't want their morality to forcibly limit the freedom of others. This follows the model of God creating man with free will for the purpose of love. For a government I think the only lines that should be drawn are cases where your freedom has the potential to bring harm, as God would define harm, to someone else. For example if you abort a baby you may be exercising freedom from parenthood, but you limit the freedom of the baby to live.

Which morality is more intrusive? The one that says "you can't kill your baby," or the one that says, "you'll pay me to kill more babies, and your parents, and put your friends and neighbors out of work"?

Kent S said...

Wow, is that one of those tough lifeboat questions where the answer isn't so obvious?