Saturday, April 17, 2010

Reading Snapshot

Some of you know I classify myself an ADD reader; that is, it's hard for me to stick with one book. I'm usually in the midst of several at a time.

Here are some of the books I'm in the midst of right now.

Talking about Detective Fiction (P. D. James--she'll be 90 this year!) -- What a delight to read her take on various writers, such as Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, G. K. Chesterton, Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, and Dorothy Sayers. I'm wondering if she'll talk about her stuff at all. I've only read one of her novels (The Murder Room), but Sara's read a few.

The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education (Craig Mullaney) -- Began his basic at West Point in 1996, I'm only 2 chapters into this engaging read about modern military life. Recommended by Al Mohler, Jr., on one of his blogs, I think.

Other books in which I'm at various stages of reading:

A Quest for Godliness (J. I. Packer) -- about Puritan theology

The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views (ed. Robert Clouse) -- 2 premillennial views, 1 dispensational and 1 non-dispensational; then also post- and amillennial

The Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan)

The Civil War: A Narrative Vol 1 (Shelby Foote) -- This one has really bogged me down. I may be the only Civil War buff who isn't as excited about this book as other Civil War books. With 2400 pages in trilogy, maybe for me it's too much detail.

Same Kind of Different As Me (Ron Hall & Denver Moore & Lynn Vincent) -- an unlikely friendship brought about by Christ and Ron's wife. Sara and I are reading it together. Good read.

No comments: