Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Online Journal

It’s 4:45 P.M., and I’m sitting at my south office (McDonald’s at 27 and Anthony). There are 4 customers here right now, all of us with laptops up and running. Curiously, at least 2 of these guys haven’t bought anything here. I always buy something (patting myself on the shoulder right now), though McDonald’s may question whether my usual investment of $2.16 is worth the 3+ hours I occupy a booth and an outlet.

Sara is in the 6th and final week of her real estate class. She has taken 4 of her 5 tests, and she has to have a 75% average in order to get her certificate. Her grades thus far, if memory serves, have been 82, 88, 90, and 96. And yet she’s still concerned about Friday’s test. Saturday, then, she is scheduled to take the state licensing test, the event for which the whole of this class has been preparing her.

Our home phone went out yesterday, the 3rd time in 3 months. After obtaining Verizon’s pleasant digital troubleshooter and going through that artificial conversation, we (that is, Verizon) determined that my phone would be fixed Friday (3 days hence) if I would be available at my home between 8 A.M. and 8:30 P.M. So this will be roughly 10 days cumulatively we’ve been without phone service in the last couple months. Except we got it back today. Last night at supper we prayed to the Lord that he would fix our phone before Verizon had a chance to. This afternoon the phone rang, and my nephew Oliver was on the other end. Thank you, Lord.

Having the phone out doesn’t just irritate Sara and me anymore. Andrew, who uses the phone quite regularly now, was also quite perturbed.

I am unusually tired these days. I am trying to get back into the habit of earlier to bed and early to rise, and I have been successful this week, but not in recovering my rest and energy. It feels like jet lag. I am taking short power naps in my office every day, it seems. I don’t know what the deal is. Another factor: with Andrew and Caty getting older and school out, they are staying up later, which doesn’t help me get my rest.

It looks like we’ll be taking a trip later this summer to Massanutten in Virginia with my parents and most, if not all, of my brother’s kids. When we announced it to the kids, they were overjoyed. They thoroughly enjoyed our time there last year. The night of the announcement, Callie packed a small bag with a swimsuit and a drawing, I think, (the obvious necessities) and placed it next to the couch, announcing to us that she had packed.

In Adult Bible Study on Wednesday nights, we recently finished up a half-year study of 2 Corinthians 1-7. Now we’re in the midst of a short study of some Psalms. We did Ps 37. Tonight we finish up Ps 103 and possibly begin Ps 104. Not sure if we’ll do any more after that before our next series.

No comments: