Wednesday, June 23, 2010

When I Was a Kid

My daughter and I were recently talking about the differences between my childhood and hers. It's fun to think back, especially today on my 41st birthday.


When I was a kid, if I wanted to see a TV show, I had to watch it when it was on, or I wouldn’t see it again for a very long time. We didn’t get a VCR until I was a teen.

When I was a kid, the only tattoos I saw were blue, blurred, and on older men.

When I was a kid, the phone was attached to the wall.

When I was a kid, our house was air conditioned by windows and fans.

When I was a kid, my dad’s little bit of hair was dark, and my mom’s was short.

When I was a kid, the first computer we got took forever to make its move when I played it chess, and that’s about all it was good for.

When I was a kid, I wrote and received a lot more letters than I do now.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite burger joints was Burger Chef.

When I was a kid, channel 55 showed old movies in the afternoons.

When I was a kid, I typed on a typewriter.

When I was a kid, cartoons were only on Saturday mornings.

When I was a kid, school didn’t start until the day after Labor Day, and summer break was 3 months long.

When I was a kid, K-mart was the only “mart” in town.

When I was a kid, our pop came in bottles.

When I was a kid, my bike had a banana seat.

6 comments:

MMR said...

Is that your actual bike? We (more specifically my sister) had a banana seat as well.

Kent S said...

Nope. Not actual bike. Mine was a patriotic red, white, and blue, with red, white, and blue tassels coming out the handle grips. It was a totally awesome bike and could beat Marci's any day in any kind of race.

j.scantlin said...

I am certain mine was unbreakable. I was unbelievably abusive to my bike, running it over ramps by itself and watching it fall ... Now I can look at my daughter's bike the wrong way and the chain falls off. What happened to pedal brakes? How much time have I spent trying to position those dainty little hand brakes on my kids' bikes so they're not too tight, too lose, or off-center?

j.scantlin said...

My nickname in the "bike gang" in my neighborhood was Yellowjacket. My back had the banana seat, pedal brakes, and was black and yellow.

Kent S said...

I remember that, Yellowjacket. I agree with you on the quality of bikes, although Anna's has lasted a while; but then again, she has the pedal brakes.

Kent said...

How times have changed!