Saturday, July 3, 2010

Elmhurst Whiners

My high school alma mater, Elmhurst High School, situated at the corner of Ardmore and Sand Point, closed a few weeks ago.

I’m amazed at the outpouring of sadness in connection with the school’s closing. I’ve seen it on Facebook, read it in the newspaper, heard it on the radio, and seen it on the news. Lawsuits have even been filed against Fort Wayne Community Schools for the closing.

Now I can understand current students being upset. My nephew and several of my neighbors have to attend different high schools next year, most of them Northside. That means whole new wardrobes. Trojans out, Redskins in. Red and gray out, red and white in. (I suppose they could just invest in a bottle of bleach.)

But what’s with all the alumni moaning and groaning? We hated high school! It’s like ex-cons bemoaning the closing of Alcatraz. I don’t get it.

Further, there’s so much more to life than high school. I’m over 20 years out of high school. I rank several things above my high school experience: like marriage for instance, children, career, and friends … even that trip out west, John Kerry’s concession speech, that amazing steak dinner the other night, and the recent passing of the neighbor’s pesky mutt.

Of course, maybe some EHS alumni don't lead the exciting life I do.

No comments: