Saturday, November 27, 2010

"The Lost Choice" Not My Choice

Sara and I just finished reading The Lost Choice, by Andy Andrews, and we are split on our opinions. Sara liked the book. I didn't so much.

I was turned off once I realized the book is a motivational story written by a motivational speaker (and writer). The subtitle turned me off as well: "A Legend of Personal Discovery."

I don't read novels to be preached to (at least preached to directly--stories, of course, do influence and persuade, but in subtle ways).

The story is moderately interesting. A relic is found that is discovered to have connections to many powerful people of the past, and as Mark and Dorry and Dylan and Abby work to uncover the significance of the relic, they are increasingly stunned by what they find. The story flashes back and tells other stories, historical stories, along the way. Thus the reader encounters George Washington Carver, Alfred Vanderbilt, and others along the way.

The narrative of the present-day story is lackluster, and it's a bit unreal, probably because the reader knows the author is trying to get you to do something. So extra details seem unnecessary. "Don't tell me that humor flashed in her eyes, or that Dorry got the coffee ready while Dylan prepared the table" the reader thinks. "Get to the point. What's the lesson I'm supposed to learn?"

I hasten to add that a lot of people apparently do like this book, given the endorsements all over the jacket.

First line: Kasimir shielded his eyes with both hands as he peered intently into the sun's last rays.

Last line: And just like the other three pieces of the cup, it is hiding in plain sight.

My rating (out of 5): 2

No comments: