Saturday, January 1, 2011

Recollections of My 2010 Reading (Part 2)

Same Kind of Different As Me, by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, Sara and I read together. Together they tell the story of their unlikely friendship and the remarkable woman who brought them together. A modern-day true story of the hand of God at work in miraculous ways. See my review.

The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views, edited by Robert G. Clouse, is a somewhat uneven presentation of the post-mil, amil, pre-mil pre-trib, and pre-mil post-trib views of the end times. Overall good in giving one an idea of some of the interpretive issues that divide. Other comments here.

The Holman Christian Standard Bible is a decent translation, more literal than the NIV, and therefore better, in my mind.

Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative: Vol. 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville is considered a classic. Too much detail for me, although Foote's writing style, filled with anecdote, is entertaining at many points. Read my review.

Edward L. Beach's Run Silent, Run Deep is forgettable.

Donald W. McCullough's The Trivialization of God is good theology, especially on God's holiness. See my comments.

Jungle Sunrise, the first novel of pastor Jonathan Williams, is a riveting missionary tale. Read my review.

Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke, is an original tale that certainly captures one's imagination, and the characters are well-developed. Worth reading.

I re-read Joseph J. Ellis's Founding Brothers this past year, and I enjoyed it even more this second time through. Ellis is a tremendous teacher about a tremendous time that involved tremendous personages. Read my praise.

The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy, is a good read; good for the story and good for the insight into the terror of the French Revolution.

Andy Andrews' The Lost Choice? I'd rather read Run Silent, Run Deep again. I don't like novels that preach to me, at least overtly.

Mark Twain's The Diaries of Adam and Eve are entertaining, especially Adam's, the shorter diary. My wife and kids were laughing out loud as I read it to them, especially as he was trying to determine what species Cain was.

No comments: