Tuesday, February 8, 2011

No More Slogans on Church Signs


If I had the power to enact one law that all American churches had to abide by, I might consider, "No church signs shall exhibit slogans of any kind."

Some are clever. Some are cute. Some are even biblical. But for the most part, I think the slogans lower the esteem of the church in the eyes of the world. The church isn't a clever organization or a cute one. It is the body of Jesus Christ. It is the people of God who have been redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to them from their forefathers. It is the guardian of truth and the propagator spiritual, life-and-death realities.

So when I drive by a church and see, "Call 911. This church is on fire," I cringe. That's like junior high boys boasting about their game or their machismo.

And I surely don't get a Lutheran church sign that said something like, "St. Valentine died for your marriage." Huh?

There are a lot of great slogans out there, too. For example, "Kmart isn't the only saving place." I get it (though it's a little dated now; but so am I). But I don't think that slogan belongs on a church sign.

Just google "church signs," click on Images, and answer this question: Do these signs advance the kingdom, or hinder it?

What do you think?

No comments: