Monday, March 28, 2011

What if "keep" was a foreign word?


In a world of innocence and sinlessness, where God provides for one's needs and there is no such thing as lack or want, a tempter tries to introduce evil into the heart of the woman who lives in this world. In this scene she has just lain down a robe he gave her.

"Will you not keep it?" he said: "you might wish to carry it on some days even if you do not wish for it on all days."

"Keep it?" she asked, not clearly understanding.

"I had forgotten," said the Un-man. "I had forgotten that you would not live on the Fixed Land nor build a house nor in any way become mistress of your own days. Keeping means putting a thing where you know you can always find it again, and where rain, and beasts, and other people cannot reach it."

This struck me. Do I not have a God who provides all things (Mt 6:33; Php 4:19)?

Loosen my grasp, Lord, on the things that are "mine." Root out of me greed, which is idolatry.

--C. S. Lewis, Perelandra, ch. 10

No comments: