Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Trinity & the Christian 3

Relationship Dynamics between the Triune God and the Christian (John 14:15-24)

Dynamic #3: Christians know Jesus; the world does not.

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.  (18-20)

18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
Here we see again Jesus’ concern for his disciples’ sense of loss. 

19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me.
He’s talking about his crucifixion and burial.  The world will not see him after that.  But the disciples will.  First, in the sense that Jesus appeared multiple times to his disciples after his resurrection.  But he did not appear to those who did not believe, only to believers.

Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
This means that they will not only see him physically, but they will also perceive clearly who he is, his relationship to the Father, and his relationship to them.  They will understand this because they will be intimate with him.

Jesus said, “You are in me, and I am in you.”

With the death and resurrection came close communion with Christ and a resultant understanding of who Christ really was and is.

True Christians know Jesus.  They know who he is.  And they know him.

Not so the world.  Verse 18: “The world will not see me anymore.”

And they don’t.  They don’t get him. 

The world is fascinated with the search for “the historical Jesus.”  “What was he really like?”  And all along, we know him!

It’s like the world becoming fascinated with a friend of yours; we'll call him Marv Smith.  Scholars and reporters around the globe are caught up in the search for the historical Marv Smith.  In their journeys they come to your hometown, and they hold a press conference to announce their findings thus far.  And in the middle of the press conference you stand up and ask, “So you want to know about Marv Smith?”

         “Yes.”

         “Well, what do you want to know?  Maybe I can help.”

The scholars wink at one another and take a fatherly, condescending tone with you, explaining all the research they’ve done.
        
But you say, “Yeah, but I know him.  We go to church together.  He lives on Maple Street just off Vine Avenue ...”

And that’s the situation with the world.  They want to find out all about Jesus, and we already know him. 

But they don’t.  They don’t see Jesus.  They don’t know him.

No comments: