Monday, May 30, 2011

The Trinity & the Christian 4

Relationship Dynamics between the Triune God and the Christian (John 14:15-24)

Dynamic #4: Christian experience God; the world does not.

"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”
 22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
 23 Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me." (21-24)

  • We learn in this passage that the Father loves the Christian.  And we feel that; we benefit from that.
  • We learn that Jesus loves the Christian.  And we feel that; we benefit from that.
  • We learn that Jesus shows himself to the Christian.  Not in the physical sense.  We don’t see him with our eyes.  But somehow his person is brought to bear upon our person; his heart on our heart.  There is a connecting of the two personalities—Jesus’s and the Christian’s.
  • We also learn that the Father and the Son come to the Christian and make their home with him or her.  This means that in some way or other the Father and Son are relationally much closer to the Christian than they had been, and the Christian experiences in some way God’s presence to bless.
The world on the other hand does not experience God.  And it’s ironic, in a sense, because the world clamors after the experience of the divine many different ways. 
  • by pursuing Eastern religions. 
  • fascination with spiritual things, and people get into angels, or into spiritism, or into New Age thinking and all of its many branches and spin-offs 
  • fascination with Jesus, but they revise him, denying the things they find offensive and painting him in their own image
The world wants to experience God, but unless they repent, the only experience with God they will have will be at the judgment, and it won’t be pleasant.

No comments: