Monday, January 23, 2012

Matthew 6:34

Saturday night Sara was experiencing extreme discomfort in her back.  Early Sunday morning (4:45), she could not get out of bed, let alone sit up.  We eventually got her up and out into the rocking chair, and she was not comfortable.  Every position was "excruciating."

So from 4:45 on, as we experienced the seriousness of her situation, I was struggling with anxiety.  Distressed for my wife, remembering past issues with her back when life got really hairy for a while, I was praying--praying for healing, for wisdom, and to maintain confidence in the Lord's sovereignty. 

We were thinking, "Here we go again," and the word "surgery" was flitting around in our minds.  I was thinking about how we would get Sara anywhere since I couldn't get Sara in the van because of a door problem and the car was too low.  I was thinking about having jury duty this week.  I was thinking about the kids' home schooling for the week.  I was thinking about the extra work I have at the church this week.

We were also thinking about the promises of the Lord, like Php 4:13, Php 4:19, and the encouragement of Ps 105:4.

This morning, reviewing some memory verses, I came across Mt 6:34:

Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own.
(NIV)

All that anxiety yesterday ...  When the girls and I came home from church, Sara was up and making lunch.  As the day progressed, her back seemed to get better.  This morning, she got up, got into her car, and drove to the mall for her regular morning walk. 

Ever since yesterday afternoon, I have been praising the Lord!

No comments: