Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reading the Same Book Over and Over

According to Justin Taylor, John Piper has only read two books more than twice, the Bible and G. K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy.  What's especially interesting is that Chesterton was not a Calvinist (some would argue God isn't, either).

But what intrigued me was the notion that Piper has only read two books more than twice. 

Many times have I finished a book and thought to myself, "I've got to read that one again sometime."  Very rarely do I do it.  Why?  The thirst to read books I haven't read yet.  That list is always big.  The advantage that the "haven't read yet" list has over the "should read again" list is that I've at least read the books on the "should read again" list once.

So what books have I read more than twice?  Let me narrow my answer by leaving out children's books.  Some of my kids favorite books I have literally read dozens of times.
  • The Bible
  • The Valley of Vision (a compilation of Puritan prayers)
  • J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • Prince Caspian (C. S. Lewis; part of the Narnia series)  (This one because I read it to Anna recently in addition to my other 2 read-throughs)
  • The Great Divorce (also by C. S. Lewis)
Probably no one will respond to this, but I'll just throw it out there anyways.  What books have you read more than twice?

4 comments:

Kevin Jackson said...

I read a lot of books multiple times. I'm a creature of habit. Here are some:

The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Narnia books
C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy
The Hiding Place (Corrie tenBoom)
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
Pride and Prejudice
The Great Gatsby
Brave New World
Animal Farm
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Alas Babylon
Charlotte's Web

Kent S said...

Good list, Kevin!

Anonymous said...

I read tons of stuff multiple times. I think that's probably because I read books too quickly the first time. I then re-read if I liked it. "Liked" = found encouraging, amusing, thought-provoking, or full of interesting information. Of course some would argue this habit is made worse by the fact that I have so few books avaialable to me at the moment.... ACPL, I miss you.
-andrea r.

Kent S said...

Yes, Andrea, we here in the fort are blessed with the ACPL.