Thursday, April 26, 2012

Down, Lower Down!

Andrew Murray's slim book, Humility, ranks very high on the list of writings that have impacted me most.  Not that I have attained humility--now that would be something to boast about!--but his book, when I first read it many years ago, held before me the importance of humility, and thus it has become something I have striven for and prayed for often.

I am re-reading Humility and am renewing my appreciation for Murray's teaching.

"To many of us it has been a new joy in the Christian life to know that we may yield ourselves as servants, as slaves to God, and to find that His service is our highest liberty--the liberty from sin and self.  We need now to learn another lesson--that Jesus calls us to be servants of one another, and that, as we accept it heartily, this service too will be a most blessed one.  It will be a new and fuller liberty from sin and self.  At first it may appear hard; this is only because of the pride which still counts itself something.

If once we learn that to be nothing before God is the glory of man, the spirit of Jesus, the joy of heaven, we will welcome with our whole heart the discipline we may have in serving even those who try to vex us....  no place will be too low.  No stooping will be too deep, and no service too mean or too long continued, if we may but share and prove the fellowship with Him who spoke, 'I am among you as he that serveth' (Luke 22:27).

Brethren, here is the path to the higher life.  Down, lower down!"

(from chapter 4; emphasis added)

No comments: