Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Jesus Commands Humility

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven....
Blessed are the meek,
   for they will inherit the earth.  (Matthew 5:3,5; all Scripture taken from the NIV)

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:29)

Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:4)

Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest.  (Luke 9:48)

 The greatest among you will be your servant.  (Matthew 23:11)

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.  (Luke 14:11; 18:14)

Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. (John 13:14)

Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.  (Luke 22:26-27)

No comments: