Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Christians deeply aware of sin within

Christian believers know they're sinners and are deeply aware of sin within.  So advocates Martyn Lloyd-Jones from 1 John 3:2, and he marshals the following support.
  • "Vile and full of sin I am."  (Charles Wesley)
  • "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh), dwelleth no good thing."  (Saint Paul, Romans 7:18)
  • "O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of death?"  (Saint Paul, Romans 7:24)
  • "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"  (Jeremiah 17:9)
  • "I dare not trust the sweetest frame."  (Edward Mote)
Lloyd-Jones comments, "All these things are indications of the new nature--an awareness of sin and above all a desire to be rid of it.  If you are hating the sin within you and longing to be delivered and emancipated from it, I assure you, you are a child of God--it is one of the best signs."

--Life in Christ: Studies in 1 John 287-288

No comments: