Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How to know if you're a true Christian

In his sermon on 1 John 3:2 Martyn Lloyd-Jones answers the question, "How can I know if I'm a child of God?  How can I know that I am saved?"  He gives the following evidences:
  • Awareness of new life within, a new nature.  You can say, "I live; yet not I" (Gal 2:20).
  • Awareness of sin within as well.  "The unregenerate, the natural men and women, are not aware of a sinful nature."
  • Desire for God and for the things of God and to walk in the ways of God.
  • Awareness that God is your Father, not just some great distant potentate; awareness that you're related to him in some way.
  • Love for other believers; an instinctive affinity with other believers who love the Lord.
--Life in Christ: Studies in 1 John 285-286

No comments: