Wednesday, June 13, 2012

50 times through the Bible in 5 years

Homer Inniger, 97, died Friday.  His funeral was yesterday.  He was my wife's paternal grandfather, her last living grandparent, my children's last living great-grandparent.  Those are a few of the bare facts. 

Homer Inniger, 97, read his Bible cover to cover around 50 times since the age of 92.  His family reported during the funeral that he was reading his Bible through each month!  I once read the Bible through in 4 months, reading 10 chapters a day.  My dad reads through the Bible twice a year.  But once a month?!?!  That's an average of almost 40 chapters a day.

Homer Inniger was a living illustration of Psalm 119:99: "I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes."  How could a man read his Bible through 50 times (and who knows how many total times through in his entire life?) and not breathe out and live out the wisdom of God's Word?  He did.  Number one testimony at the funeral from all the sympathizers who came to the viewing?  "He was the best Sunday School teacher I ever had."  Homer didn't make it past the 9th grade because he worked the family farm, but I would stack the wisdom of a Bible-trained man like Homer any day against that of a Ph.D who does not know Christ.

Homer never pastored, but he was a layman who made a difference--in his family, in his church, in his community.  He made a difference because he was saturated with the Word.  Because he studied it, he knew it, and because he knew it, he lived it; it was a part of who he was.

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15 NIV)


All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.  (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV)

Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.  (Psalm 119:97 NIV)

No comments: