Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bible: kill the dragon, get the girl

Holy Bible: English Standard Version Holy Bible: English Standard Version by God through his prophets and apostles
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you think about why Jesus came--to destroy the works of the devil and to save sinners, i.e., the bride of Christ (1 Jn 3:8; 1 Tim 1:15; Eph 5:25ff.)--then the message of the Bible is both simple and exciting. It is (in the words of Douglas Wilson as I remember them): Kill the dragon, get the girl. That's the story from Genesis 1:1 all the way through Revelation 22:21.

The ESV is currently my favorite translation. I succumbed to the heavy promotion it received when it came out 11 or so years ago, and it hasn't disappointed. I prefer a more literal trans. to the dynamic equivalent approach, but I don't find the ESV as stilted as the NASB (though I have not read the updated NASB).

View all my reviews

No comments: