Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Philosopher admits bias against God

In philosopher Thomas Nagel's recent work, Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature is Almost Certainly False, he makes his case for rejecting materialist naturalism.  His reasons for rejecting this contemporary creed of science would lead one to think, according to reviewer Alvin Plantinga, that Nagel would at least be "sympathetic to theism."

But he is not.  It seems that his statement in The Last Word (1997) still holds:

"I am talking about something much deeper—namely, the fear of religion itself. I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers.... It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that."

Well, at least he admits his bias.

(Plantinga's full review is worth the read.  Nagel's case against Darwinism is fascinating.)

No comments: