Thursday, June 13, 2013

Suffering has an up side

At the Nicene Council, an important church meeting in the 4th century A.D., of the 318 delegates attending, fewer than 12 had not lost an eye or lost a hand or did not limp on a leg lamed by torture for their Christian faith.  (Vance Havner)
 
Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.  (Helen Keller)
 
Contrary to what might be expected, I look back on experiences that at the time seemed especially desolating and painful with particular satisfaction. Indeed, I can say with complete truthfulness that everything I have learned in my 75 years in this world, everything that has truly enhanced and enlightened my experience, has been through affliction and not through happiness.  (Malcolm Muggeridge, in Homemade, July, 1990)

No comments: