Friday, July 26, 2013

The best author on pastoring

Under the Unpredictable Plant an Exploration in Vocational Holiness (The Pastoral series, #3)Under the Unpredictable Plant an Exploration in Vocational Holiness by Eugene H. Peterson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I seem to recall an anecdote about Charles Spurgeon, that when he felt down, he would ask his wife to "Get Baxter," whereupon she would retrieve a volume by Richard Baxter, the Puritan pastor/theologian, and read to her husband.

When I am down in my ministry, or discouraged, disillusioned, or simply bored with it, my self-prescription reads, "Get Peterson." No one encourages me in pastoring like he does. In the space of ten pages he can reinvigorate my enthusiasm for ministry in my small local congregation. He did it for me just this past week. This was my second time through this particular work. Great stuff.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kent G said...

Eugene Peterson is one of my favorite authors also! He has a different way of writing that has a way of getting your attention.